Skip to main content

Getting Lean with Diabetes

Diabetes is an auto-immune disease and therefore makes it a bit more difficult for us to build muscle, but it can be done, as long as you take take the right steps. 

Throughout my years of training and having diabetes I have gathered a lot of information about building muscle and staying lean. Of course I don't know all there is to know, but over time, through countless trial and error I have come up with some key tips to help diabetics (and people without) train effectively, build muscle and stay lean, all while keeping blood glucose levels within range (no need to worry about this if you're not diabetic, your body will take care of itself). Don't rub it in.







1) Check blood glucose. This has to be my first tip. I really can't emphasise enough how important it is to frequently check your blood sugar levels. Apart from leading to serious long term complications such as blindness, loss of limbs, alzheimer's disease and even putting a dint in your life expectancy, it is almost impossible to build muscle when your blood glucose is off. So, be sure to check!

2) Don't eat after a certain time. Continuing on with blood glucose management, something that has always annoyed me about my training while having diabetes is waking up with high blood sugars. You can have a great workout, a perfect meal afterwards and go to bed satisfied, only to wake up with high sugars. It's almost like taking a step back with your training because while you've been asleep your body has been breaking down that muscle as a result of the high bloods. What I've learned to do to prevent this from happening is to have my last meal about two hours before bed. This will give your blood sugar time to settle and therefore you can correct any abnormal blood readings with a simple insulin injection.

3) Eat frequently. I am constantly hungry. No matter what I eat there's always room for more. Maybe you're the same? What I find works well for my diabetes and for my training is to eat about every 2-3 hours. If you're diabetic I'm sure you have realised that if you go long periods of time without eating your blood sugars will drop. Eating frequently throughout the day will help keep them at a steady reading and will also be fueling your body with the proteins, carbs and fats it needs to build muscle.

4) Be conscious of calories. I don't mean you need to keep track of every grain of rice, or each separate chip, just be cautious. Calories you eat and calories you burn are what determines whether you lose or gain weight. Because I am diabetic I find tracking my food to be hugely beneficial. I know how many carbs I'm eating per meal (therefore I know how many units of insulin are needed) and I can work out how many calories I eat on a daily basis. Burning more calories than you're taking in, over an extended period of time will assist you in losing weight and vice versa to gain weight muscle.





5) Eat protein. High protein diets are definitely a great way to get lean and stay lean. Protein is what makes up and rebuilds your muscles. Without sufficient protein intake your body is incapable of maintaining/gaining muscle. You should try to get about 1gram of protein per pound of body weight. Play around with those figures to suit your own body. More will benefit in muscle growth.

6) Get the heart pumping. Our bodies were designed to move so make sure you do it. You need to burn fat to get lean. Along with keeping a clean, healthy diet, cardiovascular training will burn fat off those stubborn edges. This type of exercise can be something you love to do; football, swimming, running, cycling or even some private time with that special someone, ifyouknowwhatimsaying. Anything that gets the heart pumping and your body sweating will burn fat.

7) Weight/strength training. Studies show that weight training is as good as aerobic exercise at boosting your body's ability to use insulin. The American Diabetes Association recommends that people with diabetes start a strength training program to help with blood sugar control. Weight training is a key element of building muscle and the more muscle tissue you have, the more calories you burn at a resting heart rate.

8) Drink water. The importance of drinking water is completely underestimated. Our bodies are made up of about 60-70% water so it should be an essential part of our diets. Drinking water can increase your metabolism and reduce appetite and in turn aid with weight loss. You may be running to be bathroom more often but there are many health benefits linked to increased water consumption such as boosting your immune system, flushing out toxins, increasing your energy and improving skin complexion.






These are just a few of my own suggestions that have worked well for me. Don't take these as medical advice or overlook what a health professional may tell you. I am not a doctor..... or am I? 

No, I'm not.



Comments

  1. ALL THANKS TO DR WILLIAMS FOR THE GREAT DEED HE HAVE DONE FOR MY DAUGHTER?
    My daughter suffered from diabetes type 2 for more than 20 years which we started experiencing in her when she turned 17 year and 5 months we all thought it will end but got even worse as days went by. We tried all several treatments and therapy prescribed by various doctors we met but to no avail, she lost weight even when she is eating and feel hungry,and She usually had Headaches. This were steady illness that disrupted her entire life, even at night she slept less because of this.It was during a casual conversation with a friend that i learned about Dr Williams herbal medicine I was able to contact him on his email address. and give him all the necessary information that he needed,few day later he sent me the herbal portion and his medicine was able to restore her back to normal and she is very okay now without any side effects whatsoever. If you have diabetes, do not hesitate to contact him on drwilliams098675@gmail.com for advice and for his product. I hope this also helps someone out there

    ReplyDelete
  2. ALL THANKS TO DR WILLIAMS WITH HIS HERB MY WIFE WAS COMPLETELY CURED FROM DIABETES .
    Is my pleasure to comment on this site and i thank the admin of this site for his/her great work so far.one of the happiest moment in my life was when the doctor confirm that my wife is been free from this illness. this awesome moments makes me the happiest man on earth, I really don't know how to thank DR WILLIAMS for helping my wife get cured of over how many year of suffering from diabetes. i came across DR Williams contact through a headline news on internet about how DR Williams help a woman to get cured of her diabetes,and so many other with similar body problem ,i contacted him and he told me how to get his herb,few day later he sent me the herbal portion which my wife take every morning for 28 days, and his medicine was able to cure her completely from diabetes. and now she very mush okay without any side effects whatsoever, If you have any form of diabetes., you can always contact him on his email address drwilliams098675@gmail.com for advice and for his product.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciate your way of writing which you have shared on diabetes. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Top 10 Tips for Living With Diabetes

I thought I'd share some of my top tips from my own experience of living with Type 1 Diabetes to help you live a healthy life with the condition. There are hundreds I could write but these are the ones I've narrowed it down to and have found most helpful. If you have any additional tips please comment them down below for others to read. 1) Always test. If you are ever in doubt about how you feel or what your sugars are at, TEST! 2) Have back up at all times. Back up insulin, back up testing strips, back up glucose sweets, back up needles. You never know when you might need them. 3) Reduce carbs and sugars at night. What I've learned to do and what I've found has been hugely beneficial is reducing carbs at night time. I know this can't always be done because we may be out with friends or at an evening dinner but try to when you can. I generally don't eat carbs after 10pm. This lets my sugars settle before bed and it reduces the risk of a hypo or high blo

Diabetic Myths

Throughout my years of living with Type 1 Diabetes I have been asked a number of different questions, heard different stories and listened to some pretty ridiculous myths about the condition. Here are a few of the most widespread myths being busted…..  1) Eating too much sugar causes diabetes There are two main types of diabetes - Type 1 and Type 2. With Type 1 diabetes,  the insulin producing cells in your pancreas are destroyed by your immune system (autoimmune disease). No amount of sugar in your diet or lack of exercise can result in this. With Type 2 diabetes we know that sugar doesn't directly cause it, but your chances of developing type 2 diabetes are certainly increased if you are overweight. I'm sure we all know that you gain weight when you are consuming more calories than your body needs (caloric surplus), and sugary foods and drinks contain a lot of calories. So you can see that if sugar is making you put on weight you are much more at risk of developi